Random Posts

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Gambit Chess Website

I really like this site.  VISIT

      The site apparently was designed to provide information on gambits and has not been updated in years, but…what I found interesting was all the e-books that are available for download. NOTE WELL: the books are contained in a file (with NO ANNOTATIONS) that are in chess books; the files are available in ChessBase format (.cbv) and in .pgn format.
      The books available by division are: Games, Players, General, Openings (both specific and general), Tactics and Strategy, Endgames and Game Collections. What I like about this is that if I want to play over the games contained in books like Botvinnik’s Championship Chess-Soviet Chess Championship 1941, Duz-Chotimirski’s The Best Games, or even an obscure book by US Master Jim Marifa, 1982 US Open at St. Paul, I can download them and play over them while analyzing with an engine. There is no color commentary from the authors so you have to supply that yourself.
      Of course this lack of commentary means a lot of the books on strategy, tactics and endings won’t be of much value because there is no explanation of the moves and positions. Personally, I’m not interested in that anyway because I enjoy playing over the games by famous players and from strong tournaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment