Random Posts

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Four Knights Game-Belgrade Gambit

How To Play the Beldrade Gambit
Explore the Belgrade on Chess.com

Many years ago the Correspondence Chess League of America held a gambit tournament. They sent each player the opening moves of various gambits and you got to choose which one to play. I chose the Belgrade Gambit in all three games in which I had White. I don’t remember the results but do remember that it was good enough to play occasionally.

Black can enter into complications or, as is often the case in gambit openings, sidestep them. MCO comments that the move 5…Be7 is super solid. I’m reminded that CJS Purdy recommended meeting the Giuoco Piano with the Hungarian Defense (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Be7) for the same reason; there’s not much that can go wrong for Black in the opening.

In this game against an opponent rated in the mid-1500’s I once again met a player I don’t understand. When you post a challenge for a 10 minute game why would you play every single one of your moves with almost no thought? This game went 27 moves and the guy spent all of two minutes on it so it’s no wonder he lost; bad strategy and tactical mistakes were bound to happen.

In any case, I’ve included the first part of the game with some opening ideas so you can check out this gambit.

No comments:

Post a Comment