Random Posts

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

A Download Warning!

     Last night while watching a movie on TV I was visiting the SCID chess program website and saw a download for an interesting looking database of games from a site called Caissabase. 
     I visited the site and downloaded the database. Short version: the DB did not seem to be downloading, but 6-8 partial download files appeared on my laptop and after 20-30 minutes I had to cancel the downloads when quitting the browser. I then deleted the partially downloaded files. 
     Today when I opened Firefox the downloads started again and could not be stopped except by closing the browser. A scan with my anti-virus software did not reveal anything, but every time I opened and then closed Firefox I was informed that a download was in progress and the same 6-8 partial files showed up in the Downloads section. 
     Not being technically savvy I could not figure out how to stop the downloads from taking place every time I opened Firefox. The only solution I came up with was to reinstall Firefox. Fortunately I was able to recover all of my bookmarks which were stored on my laptop in an “Old Firefox Data” folder. 
     So, the warning is DO NOT DOWNLOAD the CAISSABASE DATABASE FOUND ON THE SCID WEBSITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment