Random Posts

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Nanny McPhee of Chess

     It's been a while since I have posted one of my games and I know readers are just dying to see a recent example. The main reasons for not presenting one is because I haven't been playing a lot online and when I do then go over them with Stockfish, the games remind me of Nanny McPhee. She was ugly with mottled skin, a large tooth sticking out of her mouth and a large potato-like nose with hairy warts. Just like Nanny McPhee, my games look disgusting. In the end Nanny became beautiful, but my chess seems destined not to duplicate her experience. This game is so full of warts that only a toad could love it, but it was a lot of fun. 

Your Actual Mistakes – Exeter Chess Club 
     I was going to post a couple of links to some excellent articles by Dan Heisman. When I visited his site here's what I saw...Members enjoy access to all archived content, including thousands of PDFs and hundreds of Ebooks - all free! To join: make a $25 (or more) tax deductible donation to ChessEdu.org and we will send your log in details for one-year access. (It may take up to 72 hours to receive your log in.). Interesting...“all free” but it costs you $25. Sounds like Mr. Heisman has been watching too many televangelists!
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that you are blaming Dan Heisman for a policy change at Chess Cafe that he had nothing to do with. Chess Cafe was sold a while back, and the new owners decided to make it a subscription only site, I don't think Dan had any say in the matter, and Chess Cafe actually owns the Novice Nook columns that Dan produced for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I was not aware that the site had been sold. I think it's comical that "free" material requires a donation.

    ReplyDelete