Random Posts

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

There Was A Fly In The Ointment

     In this online game from the other day I played a defense which as far as I know has no name. When my opponent rashly went after the P on g4 he allowed his N to get trapped and lost it for two Ps, but as compensation my K-side was totally wrecked. White was intent on setting up a Stonewall formation which was OK, but inexplicably advanced his P to f5 which severely limited his options and I was able to launch a strong attack against h2, but a few moves later made a poor decision to sacrifice my Q. 
     Just a couple of moves later white, in his haste, blundered away a R and I had 2Rs and a P vs. his Q. When he played 22.f6 I thought it was just desperation and instead of capturing with the B, took the P with a N, allowing him what appeared to be pointless checks. But, it was soon apparent that my opponent was more cunning than I had given him credit for because he had conjured up mating threats. Unfortunately, there was a fly in the ointment, namely 28...Nf2 mate. Despite all the mistakes, it was still a fun game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment