Random Posts

Friday, August 19, 2011

Losing in the Opening

      In the following game which was played in a server tournament, I played the Bird Defense in answer to my opponent’s Ruy Lopez.  White gained a small advantage in the opening and nursed it home when it turned out my counterplay with the N on the Q-side wasted too much time and allowed him to improve his position in the center along with picking up my d-Pawn.  This game is the kind of positional stuff you see a lot of in CC these days where seemingly insignificant factors pile up and finally decide the game.
      I don’t think resignation was premature.  I was starting another tournament which included some very strong players, including an ICCF Senior Master, and wanted to devote more time to my remaining games.

No comments:

Post a Comment