Random Posts

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Interesting Fritz 17 Crash

    
After finally purchasing a new laptop last month it took some time to get used to Windows 11. After a lot of tinkering, things like color schemes and especially font sizes were finally made to look “normal.” 
    Then there was the problem of which chess programs to keep and which ones were no longer needed. The decision was made not to keep Fritz 20, not because there were any problems writhg it, but because it’s so bloated when it comes to storage space because of all the features it offers, most of which I never use. 
    Fritz 19 is excellent, but it has a couple of annoying features when it comes to publishing games on the Blog. It’s an easy fix when pasting the games into the HTML page on Blogger, but it’s still a bit annoying. Also, Fritz 19 has a lot of training and playing features I don’t use. 
    Fritz 17 takes up a bit less storage space and it doesn’t have the copy and paste issue that Fritz 19 has, so simply because of that reason the decision was made to go with Fritz 17.  However, there turned out to be a problem with the Tactical Analysis that I had never encountered before. 
    On the old laptop I had 4 cores and did Infinite Analysis and Tactical Analysis using 2 cores and there was never a problem, With the new laptop IA works fine on 10 cores, but when doing a Tactical Analysis it crashes. 
    I discovered that users of Fritz 17 reported similar crashes. The program can freeze or close on its own after running for a few minutes. This happens on high core processors because of technical reasons which I don’t really understand, but using 10 cores for Tactical Analysis just doesn’t work! The solution is simple, just do the Tactical Analysis using fewer cores. The truth is, the output between using 4 cores and 10 cores is of little practical value.

No comments:

Post a Comment